Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Mon Mar 5, 2001  3:18 am
Subject:  Re: When and IF will it happen ?

Deliamay wrote:

>have been taking singing lessons for about 5
> years with a lyric soprano. However my voice seems to be remarkably
> resistent to making any kind of operatic sound - even my teacher is
> surprised that nothing is happening yet.

Dear Deliamay,

Consider this, the problem may not be at all with YOU. It is
possible that in the five years you studied with your teacher she has
not been able to improve your technique- the teacher's fault- not
yours. This happens commonly in our field. I have heard many
recitals of people who studied with their teacher for several years-
and at the end of the training the voice still had the same technical
problems it had years before. It might be time for you to move on to
a new teacher. Always remember that when a teacher tries to tell you
that their method is the "only" method- RUN the other way. A teacher
I worked with for two years tried to convince me to continue studying
saying, "our work is not finished yet Taylor, stay with me and you'll
be singing great someday." Well, I'm lucky I left that teacher
before any PERMANENT damage was done.

Good Luck,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy