Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Feb 28, 2001  5:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singers of the Past

i have to disagree with you guys on igor gorin. yes, he did have
pretty solid high notes but, i find the rest of his voice comical (his
resemblance to a ventriliquists dummy didn't help).

mark, to answer your question about the pagliacci prologue, the best i
have ever heard is warren's. i also think warren's 'largo al factotum' is
the best sung ever, it's just too bad figaro wasn't a villain.

concerning becchi, lisitian and nortzov- i have no files of them (if i
did, i would probably black out the entire east coast trying to figure out
how to post them). i have on vinyl a recording of lensky's challenge to
onegin (nortzov) to a duel. it appeared on an album of russian tenors, the
others being ivanovsky and nelepp. the thing that appealed to me about
nortzov was the individuality of his voice. though a baritone, his singing
bore no resemblance to what we generically envision as 'baritone'. the only
way i can think of describing him is, if silent films had sound they would
sound like him. i know that is a ridiculous statement. i only say it in
hopes that one of you might know what i meant upon hearing that recording.

ernie, that sight you told us of that had files of a couple hundred
singers included nortzov. there is a recording, supposedly, of him singing
yeletsky's aria. i wonder if he has that.

mike

emusic.com