Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  4:09 pm
Subject:  Judy Garland

Dear Vocalisters:

Did anybody watch that incredible 2-part TV movie Sunday and Monday on Judy
Garland? (If the list has noted it already, please forgive me, as I'm behind on
my e-mail-reading.)

Though of course actress Judy Davis played the adult Judy Garland, virtually
all the singing in the movie was Judy Garland's. It's been a long time since I
listened to her singing, apart from the numbers in movies like Easter Parade.

What a fantastic singer she was--better even in concert than in the movies, I
think (because there was no director between her and the audience). As I was
watching and listening, I thought so much of how much like Maria Callas Judy
Garland was, as a performer. Both may have had some technical "faults", but
their talent and art transcended whatever faults there may have been, so that I
simply don't care.
When I listened to Garland, I didn't care whether someone would call her way of
singing "belting" or "mixed", or whatever. It was simply incredible singing,
that communicated with the audience through the sound of the voice. You can
close your eyes and hear everything she wants to communicate - even, I think,
if you didn't understand English. She seemed to be able to do anything with
her voice she wanted, even when it detiorated from bad health, drug abuse or
personal stress.

Every singer, of any genre, should be required to watch and listen to Judy
Garland - her type of communication with an audience through her voice is what
singing should always be.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9806 Re: Judy Garland Ernie Valenzuela   Tue  2/27/2001   2 KB
9813 Re: Judy Garland Greypins@a...   Tue  2/27/2001   4 KB
9859 Re: Judy Garland Marcia McCarry   Thu  3/1/2001   2 KB
9860 Re: Judy Garland Mezzoid@a...   Thu  3/1/2001   3 KB
9885 Re: Judy Garland Anne Cronvich   Fri  3/2/2001   2 KB
9888 Re: Judy Garland Marcia McCarry   Fri  3/2/2001   2 KB
9891 Re: Judy Garland Elizabeth Finkler   Fri  3/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com