Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  5:22 pm
Subject:  Re: boys and girls changing voices

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Susi wrote:
> I read somewhere that the countertenor voice can be regarded as the most
> perfect of voices, because it adds to its range, but doesn't loose what it
> was able to do before puberty.

Dear Susi,

Has anyone ever told you you are *beautiful* when you're posting to
vocalist? :-) Do you perhaps remember where you read this? I'll have to
put it in my permanent bibliographical collection ;-)

In the case of many countertenors, in truth it's not as simple as keeping
the boy range and gaining an adult male's low range... We usually keep the
soprano for a few years while the speaking voice lowers (during the
teens). The soprano usually evolves into an alto or mezzo in the early
twenties. A few men get to keep the top, but not many.

xoxo
Tako, countertenor

emusic.com