Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Feb 3, 2001  6:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weight Control

While this is not exactly a vocal subject area, it is related due to
health issues and the trend to cast singers who fall within what the media
has trained the public to think of as 'attractive'. Over the last few
years, there has been a great deal of research devoted to the effects of
aerobic training. One of the aspects researchers have discovered is the
body's ability to adapt to aerobic activity. I'm sure most of you have
noticed aerobic classes in which after months of activity the involved
remain weight-constant after the initial loss. The same effect occurs in
walkers. For steady consistent weight loss, I would recommend some form
of high intensity intervallic training as espoused by Bill Phillips. This
particular approach never allows your body to adapt, insuring the weight
loss to be regular.

Another misconception, which has to do with glucogen and its storage
(which I won't go into here), is the use of fruit as a dietary tool.
Fruit is packed with sugar and can actually cause you to retain fat rather
than lose it. It is always better, if one is wanting to lose or maintain
one's weight, to eat some type of protein with any carbohydrate (at least
the high sugar ones - potatoes, fruit, rice, bread. Eat all the green
beans you want...lol!).

Best,

Mark Montgomery

> I am only about 10lbs (5kg) overweight. Maybe I should go at it with renewed
> committment.We do walk a lot and I eat more fruit than anything else at the
> moment, so I should be losing naturally. I seem stuck at that weight. Thanks
> for the motivation to "unstick".:)

emusic.com