Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  8:32 pm
Subject:  baritone and tenor overlap, was: What to call myself

Thanks, Doris! Yes, for me at least it's very much a question of timbre - I
think 'tenor' even in higher lying baritone things like the Count in
"Figaro", and I'm sure I sound like a baritone there, just because of the
character of the music; We had a student here a few years ago who also did
chunks of the Count, and he was a very definite tenor. Without examining it
too closely, I feel that - occasional exceptional larynges aside - tenor,
baritone or bass are to some extent a matter of resonance choices. However
if one were to sing in a biggg hall like the Met probably one would only
get away with the choice which was *the* most resonant - in which case I'd
have to plump for lyric baritone.
Alfredo (just that little scene) is a bit risky for me, since much of the
music can be sung 'baritonally' (i.e. with quite a bit of 'chest' mixed in)
but should be sung (by me at least) in an almost pure 'head' tone so as not
to tire too soon, or tighten up, which would make the Gs strained, the G
trills very odd and the Bb would then likely crack into falsetto.
Unfortunately it's a romping drinking song. Fortunately the composer wrote
dynamic and character markings that ought to solve the problem - on the
other hand he also wrote a safe F when the line really wants a Bb!
So, let me try this for size: I *am* a bass, albeit one without a lot of
weight; I *am* a tenor, though with a rather short top; I *am* a baritone
most of all, with no qualifications! john

At 11:39 AM 1/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/30/01 9:59:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>BLYTHE@B... writes:
>
><< Alas, I've had yet another thought - my own shenanigans in this little
> prairie town where I'll sing baritone, tenor and bass solos in the course
> of one week - I wish I could just bill myself as "Singer" or "Vocalist"! >>
>
>Hey John, I for one think your label of "Baritono robusto e lirico" is
super,
>and doesn't the range of lyric baritone and tenor overlap quite a bit?
Isn't
>it more a timbre thing than anything else?

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com