Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Sat Jan 27, 2001  2:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] chest voice exercises and rep specifics

Gina wrote:
"My former teacher gave me some chest voice exercises which are also on a
> 1-2-3-2-1 pattern but you do it twice, first on /ae/ and then /a/. He
> also had me do an octave leap /a/ to /u/ back down on /a/, checking to
> make sure the larynx doesn't pop up on the octave... naughty little
> devil. We generally at that time never took chest past a D just above
> middle C."

I learnt exercises which sound almost the same, except for the vowels.
They were specifically called:Voice Strengthening Excercises.

1)Hö (hoe) One note only, in chest,for the length of a breath. Starting at G
below middle C. Not higher than F above middle C.Good one to watch what
muscles are working;sternum may not collapse. Lower abs move in slowly,
sternum rather lifts slightly.Complete release at the end of it.

2)Hö-hü(hoe-hue):Octave leap. Same range. Bottom in chest, top in mixed and
sustained for length of breath.Vowels see to it that the tip of the tongue
stays behind the lower teeth.Back of tongue (therefore larynx) must not
lift.

3)Hö-hü,hü-hü-hü-hü-hü-hü-hü.Octave leap, bringing the mixed voice down the
scale. Can be done staccato or legato. Good register connector.

Do you think it is a coincidence that different teachers in various par6s of
the world are teaching such similar exercises? (Mine originate from Hamburg
and were taught in Switzerland. I am now in South Africa!) You are where?
(That question may be answered by all vocalisters who use chest exercises as
part of their warm-ups, please!:-o)

Could the German Umlaut vowels have been modified to accommodate
English-speakers?

I really am intrigued, because this approach is such a specific one. SLS
teachers and pupils seem to recognize each other. I can't help wondering
whether the above does not have a common source.

Regards
Susi
----------

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8819 Verdi thomas mark montgomery   Sat  1/27/2001   2 KB
8820 Re: Verdi Lisa M. Nuske   Sat  1/27/2001   3 KB
8822 Re: Verdi thomas mark montgomery   Sat  1/27/2001   2 KB
8873 Verdi, a personal view John Alexander Blyth   Mon  1/29/2001   3 KB
8830 Re: Verdi Lee Morgan   Sat  1/27/2001   3 KB
8831 Re: Verdi Lee Morgan   Sat  1/27/2001   25 KB
8867 Re: Verdi Karen Mercedes   Mon  1/29/2001   4 KB
8823 Re: chest voice exercises and rep specifics Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  1/27/2001   5 KB

emusic.com