Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  9:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] spectral anal. ques.

In a message dated 1/25/2001 11:19:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
BLYTHE@B... writes:
BLYTHE@B... writes:

<< Just because the fundamental doesn't register doesn't mean
that there isn't one, though overtone series (I think) often lead the ear
to suppose a stronger fundamental than is actually there. >>

john,

thanks for your response. it seems that if the fundamental doesn't
register, the imagination would have to be providing it completely. the
reason for my asking about this is, if, in singing in falsetto, a fundamental
is implied rather than actually being produced, then a voice, previously
assumed to have been falsetto yet, registers a fundamental, that voice is not
falsetto.

the voice that i have called falsetto does register a fundamental. i
have only been able to connect it to my 'regular' voice in easy glides (a la
oren brown). but, if this voice is really a pathetic version of legitimate
head voice and not just falsetto, then there is a connection there not yet
explored. i would have to have some reason to explore this possibility
other than wishful thinking. such a distinction in a spectral reading would
be reason enough. (i wouldn't want to do to my voice what schumann did to
his finger.)

mike

emusic.com