Vocalist.org archive

From:  "M.J. Ruhl" <mjruhl@s...>
"M.J. Ruhl" <mjruhl@s...>
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  3:55 am
Subject:  WASH.D.C.: Voices of Light by Richard Einhorn

Please put it on your calendar: March 17, 8pm, at George Mason
University's Center for the Arts.

The Fairfax Choral Society, Douglas Mears, Director, with Anonymous 4,
(world-famous women's early music ensemble), and soloists Amanda
Balestrieri, Barbara Hollinshead, Mark Bleeke, and Francois Loup, will
perform the acclaimed oratorio, VOICES OF LIGHT, by Richard Einhorn. It
is a musical interpretation of Carl Dreyer's 1928 silent film THE PASSION
OF JOAN OF ARC. The singers will "accompany" the silent film.

The libretto is a collection of ancient writings, assembled from female
medieval mystics including Joan, who is represented by Anonymous 4.
Einhorn wrote Joan's music for Anonymous 4 because he could not determine
whether Joan should be soprano or alto, so he represents her by these four
women known to blend their voices as one! The film, said to be one of the
greatest silent films ever produced, portrays Joan's six-month trial,
ending in her death at stake. The music is in the medieval style.

One member of the stellar movie cast is Antonin Artaud, famous for his
writings on "The Theatre of Cruelty". In the movie he's young and
gorgeous--he portrays a good guy! With him on the set, no wonder the
movie was a great production!

The French Ambassador and his wife are among our patrons for this event.

Doug Mears, our director, is in frequent contact with Richard Einhorn,
whose website you may visit at www.richardeinhorn.com with links to the
movie's website.

Admission is $23-28 for adults, and $20-25 for seniors and youth.

Please let me know if you would like tickets reserved, or call
703-642-0862.

Hope to see you there!

Mary Jane Ruhl

emusic.com