Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  3:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ballet for the classical singer

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> Two questions: One, talk to me about ballet dancing.

I did two years of "adult beginning" and "adult intermediate" ballet
lessons a few years ago, when I was at my "fighting" weight, and I have to
say I absolutely adored doing it. No matter that I am constitutionally
inept, one of the least graceful beings on the planet. In my mind's eye,
I saw myself as Margot Fonteyn, and I truly loved the idea that I *became*
more graceful and was able to express myself musically not just with my
voice, but with my entire body.

This said, I hit my "glass ceiling" rather quickly. The reason I stopped
was a combination of increasing time demands (performing, preparing) as a
singer, and also "I'd gone about as fer as I could go" in terms of my
abilities as a dancer. I was "stuck" at the Adult Intermediate level,
which would have been fine if I found that getting no further began to
wear on me, and as a result the "magic" of dancing ballet began to fade,
as the magic of singing was in the ascendant.

Another alternative for you, if your real concern is increasing
flexibility and control over your body, would be to take yoga classes. The
breathing aspect of yoga I find much more directly applicable to singing,
and you're never secretly nagged by the awareness that, no matter how much
fun you may be having with ballet, you'll never really be a ballet dancer.

You might also consider another form of dance - modern or jazz - which
will have similar physical benefits, and may be more artistically
satisfying.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: