Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Dec 25, 2000  11:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] This dam open throat technique

Hiya Ken ,

Well, the excellent advice from Reg and Mike should be
good enough, but thought (as I haven't posted anything
for ages, 'coz I was bored of endless thread messages,
and it's Christmas, so what the Hell?!) I'd put my
tuppence ha'penny worth in:

As I think Reg said, you cannot hear yourself how
others ie. your teacher does, so there has to be an
element of trust there. Of course, taping yourself is
good, but that still isn't an accurate description as
far as I'm concerned. You need somebody you don't
know, someone like a member of the audience who comes
up and says "Hey, that was great singing!" or the
opposite. After all, we do not sing for ourselves but
an audience. Not point otherwise. People always ask me
whether I would sing if I was on a desert Island
marooned, and I always reply no!! No point without the
paying public (only my opinion of course!)And always
remember that in the end, you teach yourself how to
sing.

You will generally find (in my experience that if
you're vocally tired after singing, it is wrong and
your body is telling you to stop. I've said this many
times, but easy singing is good singing, difficult is
bad. Quite simple. And yes, I've said this before,
singing is easy. It's these ghastly charlatan teachers
and our over active minds/imaginations that make it
hard. Follow your own common sense. Mike was right by
saying if you don't agree with your teacher, have it
out with them or leave and find somebody else. What
inspires one may not necessarily do likewise for
another!! I would agree with you though, that if you
feel you're losing resonance then that's a big no no.
The voice that sounds very loud next to you in the
choir/on stage generally isn't doing anything very
useful. The ones that are have gone whizzing out into
the auditorium to do the work required. That's
something worth thinking about!!

Anyway, I hope after your Merry Christmas that you're
able to glean something of interest from this rambling
old post. Let us know how you get on.

Best to all at this festive time of year.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!