Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  2:03 am
Subject:  SOFT PALATE; WAS:Problematic choir teachers....HELP!

Lloyd wrote:

> As an addendum. Raising the soft palate has the simultaneous counter
> action of lowering the larynx. Raising the larynx has the
> simultaneous counter action of lowering the soft palate.

Oh... this is getting complicated and controversial. Great ( those are the
ones I most learn from )!

> Also, it is
> not really possible to raise the soft palate on command. What
> happens instead is that the soft palate becomes excessively tense but
> it does not raise. And the tension so created, makes the tone harsh
> and metallic in quality. The soft palate is raise by indirect means
> as I mentioned in another note i made today.

So, what do you advocate? Speech Level Soft Palate ( SLSP )?

And you also said previously:

> It is
>primarily through particular actions that the soft palate raises.
>These actions include inhalation,

Do you mean inhalation through the mouth or that fast 'flapping up' of the
soft palate right after breathing in through the nose, as you suggested
before?

>surprise, pressurized consonants
>such as /t, d, p, b, k, g, f, v/ and even /s/ and /z/. and others
>that one can imagine.

As you can freeze your surprise reaction at its climax ( and this is not a
Kodak commercial ) and most of the consonants you cited are stops ( t, d, p,
b, k, g ), can't you just freeze them before release and get the same effect
on the soft palate? If you say it's not possible, that must be because the
soft palate can't maintain that position for longer than a brief moment...
but, then, why? Can't the muscles involved fixate that muscular tensing acid
or is it related to their anatomy?

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7158 Re: SOFT PALATE; WAS:Problematic choirteachers... Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  12/1/2000   3 KB

emusic.com