Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Anesthesia

> I had to have an emergency endoscopy the other night (to find the
> source of some very nasty gastro bleeding). I've had numerous
> surgeries over the past few years, but never truly considered the
> long term affects of general anesthesia on the voice. I have to be
> in good voice in three weeks time, so was very adament that the
> anesthesiologist use ANYTHING that did not require a trachial tube.
> As it happens, I'm under 18, ...I'm
> recovering well from the gastro bleeding, but needless to say, my
> throat is REALLY hoarse. I...can barely talk at this point in time...so
can't really
> recall how quickly I recovered from the vocal irritation. Does
> anyone have any input concerning how long I should wait before
> delving into my regular practice regime

At your age, having a bleeding disorder that requires emergency endoscopy
and possible transfusion is way more important than whether or not you get
intubated. You can't sing when you are dead.

OTOH, it is reasonable to take care to protect your vocal folds. Why did
you need general anesthesia for endoscopy? Usually that is done with
conscious sedation with Versed. Even ligation of esophageal varices or
cautery of a bleeding ulcer can be done with conscious sedation.

But to answer your question, if you have had trauma to your vocal folds, the
resumption of singing should be guided by a voice therapist. The voice is
gradually exercised to preserve function but unless you understand it well,
you are safer to have an experienced guide.

If you don't have a voice therapist nearby, a voice teacher may be able to
help. Just be sure your medical problem is properly treated so you are
healthy enough to sing.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

emusic.com