Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  1:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: strange vowels (singing vs. speech)

At 11:49 AM 10/16/00 -0700, Marthea wrote:
>...I've found the most
>strange vowels sounds coming from my young students, which is definitely
>related to their speech. I'll say sing "ah" and they sing "uh." I repeat
>it correctly again and again and all I get is "uh." I know you have to
hear
>the sound in your brain before you can sing it. I'm not sure how to get
>some of them to hear it!! Ideas?

Try a 5-tone descending scale on "Yo- Yaw- Yah- Yeh- Ye" with the mouth
fully open and the bottom of the tongue resting on the bottom incisors.
The scale is repeated ascending each time by a semi-tone and the student
is not allowed to "jaw" the "Y" sound; the mouth being kept wide open but
relaxed. The "distances" between each vowel
change are kept constant such that "o" is to "aw" as "aw is to "ah", etc.
I still use this to keep my vowels in line.

GWendel

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5630 Re: strange vowels (singing vs. speech) buzzcen@a...   Tue  10/17/2000   2 KB

emusic.com