Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  10:09 pm
Subject:  Axel Schoetz

In a message dated 10/10/00 5:07:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dredeman@y... writes:
dredeman@y... writes:

<< please, pleae tell us more about Axel Shoetz. >>

Dre, you can tell by my renaming of the thread that I'm not sure I remember
the spelling. Well, he was a lovely lyric tenor with a distinct Scandanavian
sound, one that pulled at my heart strings. My husband had a number of vinal
discs back in the sixties. One was excerpts from various Danish operettas
and Mozart operas and Handel. Then we had die Schoener Muellerin. I almost
wore that disc out! He contracted the same disease as George Gershwin had
had, but he pulled through and rehabilitated his voice as a baritone. I know
of no recordings from his baritone era; it was no longer the voice of his
thirties and forties, but I went to a recital at my school in NYC which he
gave before a series of master classes he conducted there. He was on the
faculty of the university in Boulder, Colorado, and I believe it was for that
post which he left Denmark. He died a number of years ago. He was a
consumate singer, interpreter and teacher. I must uncover those vinal discs
and make copies ... or hope for a reissue of his recordings on CD. Maybe
some archive, somewhere.... Maybe in Boulder or somewhere there is a
collection of his work.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5390 Re: Aksel Schiotz Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  10/10/2000   3 KB

emusic.com