Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS)

Hello Randy and fellow Vocalisters:

On 01-Oct-00, buzzcen@a... wrote (in reply to the need to teach correct
breathing to beginning students):

> No, the problem is that adduction of the folds is so messed up that
> excessive airflow is needed to engage bernouli. Get the prephonatory
> tuning of the folds to line up better and less air is needed. You can work
> on breathing all you want, but if the way the cords line up before voice
> is created it will be all for naught.
>
> That being said, if after you think that the cords are postured right and
> there is a left over breathing problem (too much air destroying the
> correct posture) then you deal with it. Not first though but secondly
> because the governing agent in how much air is needed to engage vibration
> is the prephonatory tuning of the folds.
>
> Randy Buescher

COMMENT: I agree completely. The vocal folds are able to function with so
little air flow once proper abduction (closure) is obtained that the breath
mechanism becomes automatic. The vocal folds are able to "call" for the
necessary breath pressure without the need for the singer to create this
breath pressure before hand.

It must also be remembered that the lower part of the rib cage is capable of
expansion but the rib cage will automatically return to its at rest
position unless controlled. The expansion of the rib cage is the result of
the action of the inhalation muscles and it is the use of these same
inhalation muscles that must gradually return the expanded rib cage to its
at-rest position during the latter part of the exhale cycle. In other
words, the rib cage inhalation muscles are still used during first portion
of the exhale That is as much breath as the singer will ever need.

There is seldom ever any need for the singer to depress the rib cage, which
would require the activation of the rib cage exhaling muscles. Once the
rib cage begins to depress through the use of the rib cage exhaling muscles
the larynx becomes activated to close tightly and the singer experiences a
sensation similar that a obtained when lifting a heavy weight. This is not
a desirable singing posture

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA