Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  1:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

> << I'm not sure why supporting by pulling in the abs

> It's bad because it encourages too much air flow
> which causes the folds to
> hyperadduct causing too much subglottal pressure.

Maybe if you pull the whole stomach in violently, or
suck the tummy in forcefully, there's too much air
flow... I generally use what I call the "in and up"
method of support... it's the same motion that my
stomach makes if I pretend I'm breathing a halo of fog
onto a window. For high phrases and cold attacks,
it's a little firmer, but basically the same motion.

I'm beginning to think it's the same as the support
that some schools of thought call appoggio (this
moist-breath feeling), but I call it in-and-up,
because that's what my lower abs do if I put my hand
on them. The upper torso is expanded the whole time
(ribs and back out, chest lifted and shoulders not
hunched). I learned to handle the balance of
air-out/abs-in by doing the Italian candle trick
(don't blow it out), or pretending to inhale while
singing. Now that is habit and I don't think about
the balance anymore. So I wouldn't call abs-in
definitely breathy. Unless your definition of "abs
in" is different than mine.

I've tried the down-and-out position (stomach pooching
out while singing, having a baby, etc.) but found it
to be too forceful and not effective for me. I think
men use that type of support more than women do.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

4891 Re: Ian's Vocal Fortuity Reg Boyle   Sun  10/1/2000   2 KB

emusic.com