Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  1:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

I've been following this thread with some interest because my father gave
us a Charlotte Church CD for Xmas last year. He is also a big fan of
Sarah Brightman, if she is singing SHOW music. He had a CD with her doing
a mix of folk songs, zarzuela & a littel bit of opera & he didn't care
for it...don't know if it was the music or the way she sang it. While he
is not a musician (unless whistling counts), he has a number of
recordings with some of the well-known opera singers from the 50's-60's
so he is a bit more educated than the "common man". Elisabeth Schwarkofp
(sp?) especially comes to mind. On the other hand, mom called her the
"sick lady".

Anyway, after my husband & I were done rolling our eyes we decided to
listen to the Charlotte Church CD. For a girl in her early teens, it
wasn't bad. Her sound was good, her words understandable & it was
pleasant to listen to. While it wouldn't be the first CD I would pull off
the shelf, I could listen to it again. We just hope that she doesn't get
pushed too hard & wrecks her voice before she can get serious about
studying.

Heard part of the Bocelli CD of him singing sacred arias & it was
okay...have heard other recordings by him & didn't care for them at all.
Don't know if dad likes him or not.

Just an amateur's .02.
Pat