Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  2:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Songs for Baritone for Wedding

In a message dated 9/24/00 9:39:12 PM Eastern
Daylight Time, ODivaTina@a... writes:

<< It's not a Catholic wedding, so
"Ave Maria" is out.>>

Believe it or not, I've done the Schubert "Ave Maria" at a
number of Episcopal weddings at the request of the bride.
Recently, both a baritone cousin of the bride and I sang,
he, the Schubert "Ave Maria," and I, a Mozart "Laudate
Dominum."

Here is my rant about the "Ave Maria:" The original text
in German is even more inappropriate for a wedding than
is the Latin prayer to Mary asking the virgin to pray for
sinners now and in the time of their death. It is appropriate
for a funeral, and I have sung the Bach - Gounod "Ave ... "
at the request of the family.

emusic.com