Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sun Sep 17, 2000  5:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Singer wannabe [long]

gwyee@r... wrote:

> I resumed singing in our church choir about 5 years ago (was a choral tenor
> during high school and college years) after a very long hiatus to build a
> career/make a living, Then one night, I found myself at the church choir
> room asking to join in. Started as a bass because at the time it seemed less
> "exposed". However, it wasn't long before I noticed that after every service,
> and choir practice, my throat was a little sore, and my voice seemed "foggy".
> After a couple of years, I found a voice teacher. Our first two years were
> spent undoing a lifetime of my bad habits. Surprise!--gradually, the range
> increased and my voice seemed to rise and acquire some ringy color, especially
> from g3-g4. But she seemed to be steering me into bass-hood.

snip

> When I complained about still feeling sore after singing bass (by
> now I was in a respectable community choir), she told me I could learn to
> sing bass without becoming sore. "But I was a tenor before", I pleaded.
> "That was a long time ago" came the reply. So I sang baritone. But
> standing alongside the real basses and baritones with their marvelous rich,
> warm tones , I found my ear would automatically cause me to try to match
> timbre by "pressing" and more sore throats. I felt very discouraged.
>
> After getting some advice from other singers, I decided it was time for a
> second opinion. Painfully, and with a strong feeling of insecurity, I
> decided to leave my first teacher and change to my current teacher.

snip

> He has told me I am currently a high lyric baritone-low tenor; but that may
> change as my voice
> is still unsettled (even at my age!??) The director of our community
> chorus had already moved me to tenor-2. Finally, it's soooo goooood to
> sing, even for hours, and not be sore. This is a bit like reverse puberty!
>
> Anyway, I apologize for this long post; and want to thank you all for how
> much you've already taught me.
>
> GWendel

Don't apologize!!! It sounds like you're in good hands with your current
teacher (and conductor). If you are not experiencing a sore throat and vocal
fatigue after rehearsals, then you must be on the right track to healthy
singing.

What rep. is your chorus working on?

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC