Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kittisak Chooklin" <hm381119@w...>
Date:  Wed Aug 23, 2000  11:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Perceptions of the mezzo-soprano sound

That sounds very interesting to me, and I would like to know more about this perception, including other voices too.  Actually, I never heard thing like this about mezzo-soprano at all.  Honestly, it's probably because I focus on my voice type, which is tenor (hopefully).

By the way, talking about "tenor", I also have a question for the list and really expect anyone here could help me.  About 9 years ago, I first joined a choir back in Bangkok.  That time my voice was not fully developed; so when I went to test, the conductor then found it's kinda difficult to say which voice part I was in.  He asked me to vocalise and sing along with the other tenor singers.  Then, probably to help him classify my voice, he touched my jaw to see my structure (wording?) and said I was tenor.

After that, years after years, whenever it comes to vocal-training, I would focus on my voice and tenor qualify, which never satisfies me at all.  I found out I couldn't sing head-voice, or maybe I don't know what it is like.  However, I consider myself still a tenor whose voice hasn't fully developed yet and always look for every useful stuff to help me reach that stage.  Until last few weeks ago, I went to a bookshop here in Houston and found out a vocal training book (I forgot what it's called), and it's very interesting yet makes me doubt in myself and voice.  The book says 'we shouldn't point out what type of voices we are unless we find someone who can do that.  Some people spend years developing their voices which are not theirs.'  So, after I read that paragraph and went to another section about voice range, I found out that my voice range fell into "baritone" category.  Now, I doubt and need some helps -- at least someone who knows a very good teacher/trainer that could tell me which voice I have.  It might not sound important to you, but for me it helps a lot.  At least, I know my goal and I want to be a singer or at least to sing on a stage.  It's my dream and I want to build my way up there.  I know I don't sound so good, but I still have rights to dream and make it true one day.  This is the very first stage for me: once I know my voice type, I'll develop it to meet all qualities and then I'll go out to fulfil my dream.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kittisak Chooklin (Oak)