Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Sun Aug 20, 2000  8:03 am
Subject:  Re: Re:Re: [vocalist-temporary] BIG BROTHER.postscript

-----Original Message-----
From: Trenymusic <trenymusic@m...>
To: vocalist-temporary@egroups.com <>
Date: Sunday, August 20, 2000 12:35 AM

>Don't you know they already have it as soon as you access any site?
According to a specialized magazine I subscribe to, whenever you access a
site your browser itself 'tells' them what version it is, what operational
system you have and the last URL you've visited. The http protocol gives out
additional infomation, including your IP address, therefore, your name.

James here....

Actually, the information collected is so the web page can get to you
(getting your IP is the only way the server will know where to send it)
The OS and browser are required to display correctly. The last URL is not
collected nor is your name collected. Name, actually not your name but
Computer Name, and IP are different things. Your computer is assoc. with an
IP while you are on line then it is given to another user when you log out,
unless you have a static IP and modem users don't. So while you are on line
someone can do a reverse name lookup with the IP and know your computer
name. An IP, in this set up, is given out to many users in 24 hrs. Only the
logs at the ISP will say who had what IP when and we network people require
a warrant to produce these.

>Also, according to the University of Georgetown, of the 361 site most
popular sites in the MediaMetrix ranking, only 6.6% don't collect info about
the user.

Well, it depends on what "don't collect info about the user" means. All
sites have to collect the above info to function. If this means cookies.
I use a cookie filter; few sites cannot function w/o setting cookies.

BTW, if was sent this link a while ago and thought it was funny.

Peace and love from the high desert of northern New Mexico,

Saint James
mailto:
stjames@l...
http://www.la-tierra.com/stjames

"J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
Les Illuminations, Arthur Rimbaud (1854-1891)

emusic.com