Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 5, 2000  7:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Purcell wedding song recommendations

In a message dated 08/05/2000 12:31:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
jocelyngooch@h... writes:

<< I've been asked to sing for a Renaissance style wedding. I have picked out
number of songs, but the more I look at them the more I feel they are
inappropriate to sing while the bride, dressed in her Renaissance wedding
garb, walks down the aisle to her husband-to-be. So many songs of the era
are double entendres or just too sad, or whatever.

At least you knew in advance it was a Ren wedding... I did a wedding a couple
of years back (booked through a service, not one where I actually talked to
the bride) in which I sang music that was SO inappropriate (and not my
favorite stuff - either; frankly, I would never book this music if it were up
to me): All I ask of you, stuff like that. And the instrumentalists didn't
play a single Renaissance piece - I think we were all taken aback when the
bridal party came in all decked out in garb.

If my SO and I ever marry, it'll be a Ren wedding and we will DEFINITELY
select music accordingly.

I have Vol. 3 of the Purcell, but it lists all the songs in all 4 volumes. I
don't know these songs, but you have titles such as "Ah! how pleasant 'tis to
love," "Thrice Happy Lovers", "Sweeter than Roses", "If Music be the Food of
Love" (versions 1 and 3). Those all sound promising. Someone suggested "Man
is for the Woman made", but that's in volume 2.

I suggest you stay away from

"When I am laid" and "Your Awful Voice I Hear"

;)

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com