Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Aug 5, 2000  5:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning acting

Judy and Vocalisters:

You wrote:
"Last but not least, I think that much of what you describe as "force of
nature" and "energy" is in fact identification with--and commitment to--a
specific idea. Specificity gives you power, grace and energy as an actor."

COMMENT: This is most succinct and accurate. The specific informs
everything else. The most common error of beginning actors is their
desire to "say it all" and the "wash" they create says nothing.
There must be a chosen direction for each moment of importance. That
direction may come from past experiences, as you did in your example,
or it may be completely fabricated. It really makes little
difference. It is the focus of being specific that carries the
message to the observer.

And, of course, one can go from one specific direction to another
within a song or aria. As long as there is a single direction or
focus used at a time the message is kept clear.

I would also repeat that I think the best introduction to Wesley
Balk's work is "The Complete Singer Actor". It is is more specific
and gives many useful exercises that can be practiced. A philosophy
is expressed but it is built around a practical, useful instruction.

Thanks for your fine post.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy