Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  5:33 pm
Subject:  Discussing religion on the list

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Joel Figen wrote:

> Perhaps it would be better if we didn't discuss religion that
> intimately in this list?

I respectfully disagree, so long as we are discussing religion in
general, and not couched in terms of _your_ religion or _my_ religion.

I do not have a great depth of knowledge of every religion under the sun
that may someday request my services. I would prefer to develop an
understanding of where they're coming from. I don't believe that it is
necessary to become an adherent to do this. However, in attending our
own religious ceremonies, we are not usually exposed to a variety of
viewpoints in any depth.

I would not appreciate a post telling me that I'm going to hell if I
don't believe a certain way. However, I would welcome a post explaining
why members of a particular religion would hold that opinion, and why
therefore that a hymn not acceptable in Church A is wildly popular in
Church B.

So long as the discussion remained at least somewhat tied to music, that
is. There are other lists better suited to comparative religions.

Shannon Smith cantante@x...

"Oh, _theater_. Theater doesn't even approach it.
Opera isn't theater with singing and dancing.
Opera's _opera_." --Terry Pratchett, "Maskerade"

emusic.com