Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa Miller" <lmiller12@c...>
Date:  Sun Jul 9, 2000  7:22 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Music for Christian Science Church

I sub for the CS church in our town (that's how I got this student in the
first place), and I have to clear whatever I want to sing with the regular
soloist. I've had a student sing "A Simple Song" from Bernstein's Mass and
they had no problem with it. This student who wants the book doesn't play
piano at all and is looking for something in which he can practice.

> In fact, I've actually gotten into trouble with some pieces that are
> entirely
> scriptural. The passage "and though worms destroy this body, yet in my
flesh

> shall I see God" (from I know that my Redeemer liveth) is anathema to
some
> CS
> people, although not all.

well, i could see where christian scientists might not like that one too
well!!! LOL out of all the scripture one could pick, i think that may not be
the best choice. just because it's scriptural does not necessarily mean
it's appropriate to the occasion or the audience.

Old school buds here: