Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  9:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

In a message dated 6/25/00 8:38:22 PM, fionat@i... writes:

<< A few lessons (to motivate!?) to set you on the right track, and a
lesson or so every once in a while to learn the ropes might just do it, for
those on a limited budget. >>

Fiona,

Although our approaches vary, we actually seem to agree on a number of
points. However in my experience, a few piano lessons won't do the trick. I
can pick out my vocal line--although I often stumble on the rhythms (just
clumsy fingering--and a recently broken/dislocated finger that refuses to go
where I want it to doesn't help!). I can rarely play anything accurately at
speed. If I tried to learn my music that way, I would indeed be severely
handicapped.

I do use the piano to check the parts that I'm having difficulty
with--primarily on pitches, and to help understand the harmonic structure.
For rhythmic problems, I speak my part while beating in time.

I personally don't find sight singing all that difficult or tension-filled.
Maybe I'm a better reader than I thought I was! It rarely tires me
vocally--although sometimes after a two-hour session of reading through new
music my brain will be a little bit fried!

I think that one mark of a truly accomplished singer is that he or she can
literally pick up a new piece of music and sing it--accurately, with
phrasing, dynamics, etc. and without tension, because they have learned to
identify upcoming notes/passages that are going to be difficult vocally and
know how to deal with them.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2842 Re: sight singing and piano skills Reg Boyle   Thu  7/6/2000   2 KB
2843 Re: sight singing and piano skills Sheila Graham   Thu  7/6/2000   2 KB
2859 Re: sight singing and piano skills Reg Boyle   Fri  7/7/2000   2 KB
2844 Re: sight singing and piano skills natural@w...   Thu  7/6/2000   4 KB
2846 Re: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   2 KB
2851 Re: sight singing and piano skills natural@w...   Thu  7/6/2000   5 KB
2855 Re: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   6 KB
2845 Bach's choir, was: sight singing and piano skills John Alexander Blyth   Thu  7/6/2000   3 KB

emusic.com