Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  2:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

In a message dated 06/15/2000 9:38:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nturnage@h... writes:

<< I am recalling that in Sacred Harp singing, the tenor and soprano lines
are
frequently uncomfortably high for today's singers. Does anyone know if
people are significantly taller nowadays than in Bach's time? And with
different vocal cord length? >>

Yes, people are on the average significantly taller now than they were in
the 18th century. For example, George Washington, who was 6'2" or 6'3", was
seen as very tall for his time. His height now is viewed as normal. Look at
beds from the 18th century - they are much shorter than beds today. (I used
to work in a historic restoration from that period.)
Interestingly, the average height of the Japanese has increased since
World War II. This is generally thought to be a response to the change from
the traditional Japanese diet following the opening up of Japanese society
after the war.

Lee

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2494 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Joel Figen   Fri  6/16/2000   2 KB
2500 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Tako Oda   Fri  6/16/2000   3 KB
2506 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/16/2000   3 KB
2527 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Joel Figen   Sun  6/18/2000   2 KB

emusic.com