Vocalist.org archive

From:  LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 14, 2000  2:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Training Methods.

Dear Friends,
Hey, if it were easy, everyone could do it.:-) It takes time, work and
patience but all in reasonable amounts. It was Farinelli's teacher who did
the five year thing then the statement "Fly my son" (which is strange
considering he was a castrato). A couple of those five years was learning
how to improvise ornamentation. The voice can be saved for learning to use it
by listening to repertory in your fach, studying languages, learning roles
etc. It is all brain work that you don't even have to use your voice to do,
but that still must be done. That is totally up to the motivations of the
singer though. No one can learn it for us.

I've come to realize that there's an awful lot of straining at gnats when it
comes to singing. We nitpick over what we believe are critical technical
details often to discover later that they weren't important at all to some
very successful singer. So much is simply preference. Certainly preference
overshadows even technique. Sometimes a unique individual comes along and
even creates a niche or genre of their very own by sheer will (Maria Callas).
A perfect technique is no guarantee of success. Who's idea of perfection is
it anyway? Who's definition do we use? I suspect everyone's is different and
sees a perfect technique differently. No matter, it still all boils down to
preference.
Warmest regards,
Les

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2454 Re: Training Methods. Reg Boyle   Thu  6/15/2000   3 KB

emusic.com