Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cathy Ardrey <cardrey@j...>
Date:  Sat Jun 10, 2000  1:48 am
Subject:  opinions solicited response

Dear vocalisters,

Thank you all for your great responses to my Opinions solicited query. I
will share some of the responses and ideas here in one e-mail in case
someone else with a similar question is reading this and could benefit from
your help.

Thank you, Dr. Diane, for helping me to remember that it does not matter so
much what voice type I am as long as I enjoy singing. Sometimes we get so
caught up in so many petty details that it robs singing of its joy.

Mr. Blyth (since you responded to me very formally as Ms. Ardrey ;) you
wrote:
<<<Ms. Ardrey,
I think I'm much more self-absorbed than you, but here is what I want to
know anyway!...

When you sing something you like from the radio or such, where does your
voice lie?>>>

Answer: in the high part of middle!

<<< Can you find very odd squeaks way above that elusive high C?>

Answer: Nope!

>>> What sort of feedback have you had from teachers and other singers when
you have attempted really low repertoire?>>>

Answer: I haven't really attempted *really* low repertoire in public, but
when I sing alto in church choir, people seem surprised that I can do it
(*pleasantly* surprised, I hope.)

<<<What is your speaking voice like? Do you feel you aupport
appropriately?>>>

I do have a low speaking voice, although I think that talking may be a part
of my problem; since I teach four-year old kindergarten I talk, sing, and
read aloud all day long. I'm not sure I speak correctly. I have good
support when I sing, but I'm not sure it's correct when I speak.

<<<What is your vibrato like in different parts of your range?>>>

Answer: I like my vibrato. It is neither too fast or slow.

<<< I think (perhaps only I) that most voices have a wide range of
capabilities, for instance, I can sound like a true bass, if I don't go too
low and expose me for the baritone I am. I can also sound like a tenor,
provided you don't want any of those horrible high 'c's out of me. And I can
sound like a variety of baritones, any choose to, depending on the
repertoire I am called upon to do, or that I choose to do. presumably there
is one thing that I can do the best, though it wouldn't surprise me if the
next best thing is still pretty close. All that seems to be clear from your
post is that high notes have givenyou grief, either because of technique
ideas, or because your voice doesn't go there.>>>

This could apply to me as well, if you substituted alto for bass, and
soprano for tenor. I agree with you wholeheartedly. My main concern was
whether the higher literature I was studying was harmful to my voice.

Thank you, John, for your questions and advice!

From Christine:

<<<Hey, the letter "I" is very important to us singers. After, all just take
it out of "recital" and what do you get???>>

Thanks for making me feel better about sending my self-centered post!

Thank you all,
Cathy Ardrey

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2368 Re: opinions solicited response John Alexander Blyth   Mon  6/12/2000   5 KB

emusic.com