Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 1, 2003  2:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Support and Lowered Larynx

In a message dated 2/28/2003 8:14:55 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Yes, the exercise I suggested (it is not by any means, my exercise)
> is intended to provide a balance between the sub-glottal pressure on
> the vocal folds versus the supra glottal pressure. As such , it
> resembles the lip trill exercise in intent. In my opinion it avoids
> the excessive breath flow that is required by the lip trill exercise.
> The excessive breath flow which is common with the lip trill exercise
> tends to create a situation of increased tension and, in effect,
> encourages excessive air flow over the vocal folds which I consider
> unnecessary and, if continued, possibly counterproductive for
> efficient vocal fold phonation.

It requires a lot of air if the lips are inordinately tight, but that can be
corrected if one knows how. In addition, too much air can cause the lips to
"sphincter" to resist it and cease vibrating. Both of these are correctable,
however.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com