Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Jun 9, 2000  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: Fast vibrato causes?

Isabelle wrote:

>>I admit, my response was something of a bait. I
personally don't believe that a perfectly straight
tone can be sung with the vocal longevity, range,
volume, and ring to be sustained for 20 or 30 years of
OPERATIC singing over large, modern orchestras --
because I think it involves the use of too much air,
which leads to vocal fatigue in this kind of
repertoire (in my humble opinion)

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature! Who said anything about singing the
straight tone exclusively for 30 years? I was talking about using the
straight tone as a technical rool to help improve breath support and eliminate
unnatural vibratos and, in my case, using an almost straight tone for barber-
shop singing, which I do from 3 to 6 hours a week. I sing with vibrato MANY
more hours a week than that! :) But the barbershop singing doesn't really
use that much more air. It just requires me to control the air flow much more
carefully, which has brought fine results to my classical singing.

Oops, I see I typed rool instrad of TOOL. Sorry!

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com