Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Jun 9, 2000  12:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: Fast vibrato causes?

>What if you took a voice with a naturally fast tremolo
and taught them to sing straight-toned? Would it even
out? Is it possible to produce a healthy straight
tone in the first place, or would you just be adding
injury to insult?

Ah, one of our favorite VOCALIST discussions -- vibrato vs. straight tone.
You may want to check the archives for numerous earlier discussions of this
subject. To answer your questions briefly, yes, using straight tone (done
healthily) can help smooth out an unnatural vibrato. And, yes, it is possible
to produce a healthy, straight tone. Some styles of music (like barbershop)
call for a much straighter tone than classical singing does. If you have good
control of your breath, you can produce both.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com