Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda <toda@m...
Date:  Wed Feb 5, 2003  4:56 pm
Subject:  Jaw Dropping WAS: SINGING HIGH NOTES EASILY

Not that I'm particularly good with high notes, but in my experience,
the difference in success and failure with jaw dropping is an issue
of cause and effect.

If you *make* your jaw open, you are clenching some muscles
unneccessarily. It may improve resonance, but it would affect the
tone in a bad way.

If you *allow* your jaw to open naturally in response to the higher
tones (fundamental and harmonics), then you have the best of both
worlds. I believe the human instrument does it without even thinking
about it if we're not too tense to let it do what it wants to do.

Peanuts from the Gallery,
Tako Oda

emusic.com