Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...
Date:  Sun Jan 26, 2003  10:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: The Language of singing

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> Dear Katherine and Vocalisters:
>
> But vocal function is not all that difficult to observe and, with
an
> agreement on the meaning of terms, define. Then your singers will
> have a common word to describe a vocal function that is understood
in
> all parts of the kingdom of voice usage.

I think because of these disparities in definitions, it is important
to be equiped as a teacher to understand what the student might be
thinking.

The key for ME to find a "head voice" was to approach the tones from
what I was perceiving to be "falsetto." I tried for YEARS to
manipulate what I perceived to be my chest voice - to try to find
some "different" extension that would be "head voice" - but I could
never find it. This apparently is relatively easy for some other
people!

I guess I'm saying that in order to be a truly good teacher NOW, one
must be aware of all the different possibilities of definitions for
vocal phenomena students can possibly be using, and perhaps tailor
the instruction based on where the student is.

John

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22177 Re: The Language of singinglestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Mon  1/27/2003
emusic.com