Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Jan 18, 2003  4:01 am
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Dear Vocalist:

Rather than attempt to define a new system of keyboard notation it
would seem logical that we agree to use an existing system.

The difficulty with the Helmholz system is that it includes numbers
that must have a raised or lowered position of the numeral in
relation to the position of the letter pitch (C lower position 3 or C
upper position 3.) This does not work well with e-mail and most
computer keyboards. Therefore it is not a useful method.

That reduces the selection to naming the notes from the bottom of the
piano keyboard and up. We now have two choices; naming the lowest A
on the keyboard as A1 and naming the ascending notes accordingly, or
making the lowest C as C1 and, again, naming the ascending notes
accordingly while considering the lowest A, Bb, and B as below C1
and, perhaps, without names.

I notice that the latter of these systems (C 4 as the center) has
already been selected by most synthesizer keyboards; they simply name
middle C as C4. The A below C4 is A3. In other words, they consider
C as the cneter of the numbering system, perhaps because so much of
the music world considers C as the center of the harmonic system.
The key of C is the home base of the circle of fifths around which
the whole arrangement keys and their relationships exists.

For these reasons, I strongly support this method of naming the notes
of the keyboard
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date