Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  7:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
Dear Reg and James and Vocalisters:

It evidently was considered important to begin the process from the
bottom C of the piano keyboard.

Is this what most on the list understand the system to be?
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

This is how I understand it, in fact, I learned to do it this way from this
list. However, I am currently reading a book where middle C is designated as
c1, the octave above that as c2 etc... BUT, the C below middle C is just plain
c, which is confusing because then what is the octave below that???

So for what it is worth it seems to me that to begin numbering Cs with the first
at the bottom (or left) of the keyboard makes the most sense. Then you always
know where you are....

Leslie

emusic.com