Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 14, 2003  4:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: RE:Head voice from falsetto>Some more information about me...

In a message dated 1/12/2003 1:40:54 PM Central Standard Time,
belcantist2003@y... writes:

> I think you need to drop the "voice lessons" and go with the opera. If you
> can sing the opera selections, you can sing practically ANYTHING you want
> to!

This is the biggest myth ever put forth by singers and voice teachers. I
can't tell you how many "recovering opera singers" come through my door on a
regular basis who once bought into this, discovered they can't get hired in
opera, decide to go back to what they really wanted to do in the first place
(musical theater, or other forms of nonclassical singing) and get hired there
because they sound like an opera singer. Coming from this perspective only
damages potential nonclassical careers by making there vocal production
unsuitable for other venues.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com