Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 11, 2002  6:07 pm
Subject:  Sensations in the mix, was Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?

Dearn Anthony and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Howden
<antnee1027@y...> wrote:

> Also, can someone tell me what are the right sensations once you
are in mix.
Anthony -

I think you are posting a bit much - quoting too much and asking alot
of questions all at once. However, many of your questions are
general in nature and will probably be of interest to list lurkers.

I am not sure sensations for one person "translate" to the sensations
of another person.

Here's the main point for me: the vocal chords/folds vibrate to
produce sound, and are shorter/thicker for low notes, and
longer/thinner for higher notes, but it's all one voice in a sense.
For much of the male vocal range, including "mix" and classical "head-
voice" there are transation areas and I may have some glitches but
the sensation for me is that there should not be a switch to a
different voice - mix flows out of chest and head out of mix, with
the resonance gradually moving higher in my body. The very high
range that you talk about is most likely produced only with
a "switch" to a lighter voice.

If you are unwilling to work with a teacher, here are some
suggestions:

1) Roger Love's book (set your voice free, see www.rogerlove.com) is
not that valuable, in my opinion, but the accompanying CD is quite
useful to listen to examples and to sing along with the exercises. I
recommend that CD as a reasonable start. A consultation with a
teacher even for a few lessons will help alot.

2) The Goodrich Vocal web-site has sound clips that might help answer
your questions, see http://www.goodrichvocal.com

3) Check out the videos of masterclasses at the Dave Stroud web-site
(see http://www.davestroud.com).

Best wishes,

Michael

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21433 Re: Sensations in the mix, was Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?Greypins@a... greypins Wed  12/11/2002
21435 Sensations in the mix, was Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?Michael <chosdad@y...> chosdad Wed  12/11/2002
21456 Re: Sensations in the mix, was Re: [vocalist] Too many low notes?Anthony Howden antnee1027 Fri  12/13/2002

emusic.com