Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 2, 2002  5:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Bob,
I must agree it's a very funny picture you describe so
I can understand why your wife may be going into sidesplitting
convulsions of laughter. I have not had to resort to using the
cork between my teeth as you describe and I feel a little
apprehensive about it as well. Hope she's standing by to
rescue you if it's sucked into the abyss.

You may recall some time ago the suggestion that seeking
the slightest sensation of moving the lower jaw rear-ward,
can do a lot in the way of relaxing the lower jaw. While I've
gone beyond this now, I still try and keep the sensation of
the relaxed jaw especially on those top notes and "proper"
support definitely help there. Of course the vowel on the
upper note is also likely to get in the way of the relaxed
lower jaw.

That binder sounds rather elaborate, I assume it is a
surgical support and you know what, the more I talk about
this with professional singers the more I encounter who
swear by this assistance.
I guess it's something they'd rather not talk about. :)

Regards Reg.

emusic.com