Vocalist.org archive

From:  Alexandra Zavilowicz <azavilowicz@e...>
Date:  Fri Nov 29, 2002  2:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sorry again but i feel despaired!I am begging for help!

I can sympathize with your desperation having been in a somewhat similar
situation. How did I get out? I prayed for the right teacher to help me.
I affirmed to myself that the right person was out there and that we
would connect. I did find the right teacher and I got to work.
Talking about technique and getting advice online can only take you so
far. There are miles between intellectual acceptance of a concept and
the actual physical experience of singing effectively. It is absolutely
necessary to have a trained, knowledgeable person guiding your
sensations and helping you form your own healthy way of using your
voice. You need an outside ear attached to a person who knows what they
are doing. Time isn't something you have it is something you make. If
you want to sing you will make the time to do the necessary work. It is
not rocket science.
My teacher studied with Dame Eva Turner and Theodore Harrison (who
himself studied with a very old Manuel Garcia). While I respect
people's desire to explore all aspects of vocal physiology and the
multitude of ways to articulate vocal ideas, in my opinion it is all
very simple and boils down to movement of air. I don't send my sound
anywhere, per se. I keep my air moving along a certain path in a
consistent way so as to have maximum resonance and projection. I find
from my experience that when people gett too complicated, begin to
"Place the voice" or "place the sound" they inhibit air flow,
accumulate muscle tension and cut off rather than enhance and free up
resonance possibilities. I keep my work as simple as possible so I have
mental energy and focus for getting myself and my listeners involved in
a musical experience.
I wish you all the best and sincerely hope that you find your path.
Alexandra Zavilowicz

direpurple wrote:

> Sorry again but i feel despaired.
> i 've already tried to enter my head voice but nothing's happened.
> 1)I've read in an article that in order to enter your head voice,
> you have to transfer the placement of sound, from nose/eyes(i
> actually feel the sound on my Upper forward teeth) to the area
> at the top back of your head.Although I've tried i suffered pressure
> on my pallette.Oh,and of course no head voice's appearing.
>
> 2)Is this the right route for the sound as it goes
> higher?:Chest,throat,soft pallette, nose/eyes(or front upper teeth?)
>
> 3)I've also read that in an article>
>
> "Start with a yawning feeling to relax the throat and let the layrnx
> drop (this is the bump in the neck that moves up and down when you
> swallow). Then let out a siren type of sound ("wooo" or "weee") and
> feel it go up into the head cavities. Now let out a "wooo", like
> your cheering for someone. Also try hooting like an owl. Pay
> attention to the feeling of resonance in your head. This is your
> head voice."
>
> But what we hear then,that siren type sound, isn't actually our
> falsetto?Can we build our head voice from falsetto?If yES HOW?
>
> Oh,..also:i am male;singing range (B1-F4 WITH c4 AS THE MIDDLE C and
> singing E4,F4 with much difficulty));NEVER HAD LESSONS;NO TIME FOR
> LESSONS:
>
> i am REALLY BEGGGING FOR HELP!
> tHANKS AGAIN!

emusic.com