Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  4:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)

In a message dated 11/17/2002 6:37:36 PM Central Standard Time,
fozzy@p... writes:

> I often heard it said here on the list that unlike classically trained
> singers, female pop singers use exclusively chest voice and I have also
> heard a style of singing from some female pop singers where some of the
> notes seem more growled than sung to my ear (e.g. Britney Spears).

Where have you heard that? I don't think that has ever been stated ... not
from anyone that deals with that population. The problem is when many purely
classical ears hear pop singers (even the good ones) because it comes out of
raw chest on the bottom and ascends up the scale without a break, they assume
it's all chest which is a huge fallacy. That being said, some do try to pull
pure chest all the way up but they usually end up with pretty messed up
cords.

Randy Buescher
<A HREF="http://speechlevelvoice.com/">Speech Level Voice Singing</A>

emusic.com