Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  6:50 pm
Subject:  What I do at the moment (for Annelies)

>From: "Annelies Dille" <annelies_dille@h...>
>Would you be so kind to tell me how this goes in the USA and what you
>do at the moment?
>
>Annelies

Here's what I do at the moment: I work an office job for the health
insurance while simultaneously preparing for my first really big part (the
Old Lady in Bernstein's "Candide"). I'm lucky to live in an area with a
fair number of small opera and theater companies where I can gain experience
(if not money).

As you may know, the USA is a big country. It is particularly big in
California. I will have to drive 77 miles (about 123 KM, if I remember the
formula right) to Monterey for "Candide" rehearsals and performances.
Fortunately, Candide and Cunegonde live near me, so we can carpool. And the
stage director found a female chorus member who has an extra waterbed for me
on performance nights.

On Saturday, I plan to drive to Walnut Creek (about 50 miles, or 80 km) to
audition for "Sweeney Todd." Fortunately, I have a good reliable car.

If your question was regarding how music conservatories here work, I have no
idea, as I never went to a conservatory. My sister Margaret
(http://www.rileyguide.com) went to Boston Conservatory of Music, but her
instrument is the French horn.

Glad your exam recital went so well. I'll have to get back to work on the
Wiesendoncklieder. "Traume" was the first on I learned.

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California, USA
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/default.htm
mightymezzo@h...

"Singing is the lowest form of communication." --Homer Simpson