Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  8:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/02 2:09:55 PM Central Standard Time, buzzcen@a...
writes:

> Depends on how it's done, it's not a matter of more airflow being offered
> up.
> That would usually mean the folds have to recruit extrinsic musculature
> (usually high larynx) and low larynx muscles for opera singers

do you mean that the pop singers use a high laryngeal position on purpose?
Does this not cause vocal fatigue?

I really have to go now because I have to be in Memphis is 4 hours and it is
a 3 hour drive.

BUT--I wonder--have you heard the group ROCKAPELLA and if so what do you
think of them?

And the only singer you cited that I really recognize, besides Madonna, who I
like ok and I know studied classically, is Barbra Streisand. And I still
find her higher notes painful to listen to, so maybe this is just a matter of
preference. I don't like turnip greens either, and boy am I in a minority
down here.....

BTW, not trying to be obnoxious here, really I am just curious--what kind of
singer are you? And if you like the pop sound so much, what are you doing on
this list, I mean, doesn't all the classical technique stuff drive you nuts?
After all, this is a classical singing discussion list. Then again, maybe
you are really and truly one of those people who actually truly do appreciate
and like ALL kinds of music. I know a lot of folks who say that, but few who
really mean it.....Maybe you are the one who does!!

Again, I'm not trying to be ugly (how is that for a southern expression?)--I
am really curious. Without talking to you face to face it is easy to be
misunderstood, and my intent is simply to understand more where you are
coming from.

Leslie

emusic.com