Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  2:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Falsettofrom Lloyd W. Hanson DMA to Mary Beth.....

In a message dated 10/21/2002 9:13:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
kriswrite@a... writes:

> This is not the traditional definition of "falsetto," which is a man
> singing in a woman's range. It also refers to a sound that cannot be
> connected to the chest voice...I have not heard a woman sing in a
> falsetto like voice who could not connect it to the chest voice. Is
> there such a thing?
>
> Kristina

Definitely there is. Many classical female singers bring a lot of head down
so low that when they finally have to go into pure chest there is an audible
switch. Pop singers often take pure chest too high and then flip into
something that lacks any medial compression. Listen to Whitney Houston she
does it all the time.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com