Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 18, 2002  9:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!

Kim,

I don't know whether this will help or not, but when I have experienced jaw
tension, thinking about my jaw has rarely been productive.

In attempting to relax the jaw, it is tempting (for me, at least) to become
overly focused on my lower jaw, which only tends to increase the tension.

Why not focus on relaxing and energizing your entire body instead? Do some
gentle stretches. Then move around, shake your body, roll your shoulders,
arch your back (in both directions), do some bumps and grinds.

Then make some faces. Blink--a lot! Pop your eyes. Stick your tongue out as
far as you can. Make lots of bunny noses. Smile--a real smile, the kind that
shows your teeth and crinkles your eyes.

Next, make certain that you are well grounded and that your body is perfectly
aligned, with no forward slump, etc.

Finally, place the tip of your index finger alongside your ear where your jaw
hinges, and open gently only until you feel a "space" about the diameter of a
pencil under your fingertip. Make a "bunny nose" and air will rush in to fill
your lungs--and you will be ready to sing.

Hope this helps!

Judy

emusic.com