Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Oct 17, 2002  12:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Ethical ?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:49:00 -0700 (PDT) Tia Pickeral <brightmans@y...>
wrote:

> Dear Vocalists:
> I have a ethical quandary that I hope to get
> help with. If you have a new teacher, is it o.k. to go back to your old one
for help?
>I only have voice lessons once a week for one hour. I am thinking that 2 hrs.
a week just to prepare for audition time would be better...

Tia, I think if you want a two voice lessons a week, you should ask for
another hour with your current teacher. Or do as Karen suggested and work
with a coach - your teacher may be able to recommend somebody.

I think working with two teachers at the same time on technical matters can
only be confusing. It's the same basic vocal principles and issues, but
different teachers will approach them different ways, and often use different
terminology, which the teacher and student learn works with each other. To
switch
back and forth between two different approaches is at best mentally confusing
and at worst harmful.

In my own case, when I get coached, I mentally adjust the terminology that the
coach may use which refers to technical issues so that I am ble to give the
coach what he/she asks for. For example, the coach may feed back to me
something I'm doing visibly, which reflects a technical issue I've been
working on with my voice teacher. Then I'm able to make the proper technical
adjustement to give the coach what he/she is asking for musically.

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

emusic.com