Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  9:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: American School of Countertenors

just to clarify:
1) the Vox Humana stop is a reed stop.
2) the thing that on most organs which mechanically pulsates the air stream,
as you mentioned, is called a tremolo, and it can of course be turned on and
off. it usually works on a whole division, such as the Swell division. It
can be that a Vox Humana stop is part of the division that has a tremolo.
3) The rank of pipes tuned slightly out of tune to cause beats is called a
celeste.

> Hi Tako:
>
> I did a project on organs many years ago and you are correct in assuming
> that
> the voice category of stops are "vibratoed". In some stops the air
> stream is
> mechanically pulsated and in some instances you can even hear the device
> making a thwack-a-thwack-a sound as it "vibrates"! In other stops the
> "vibrato" is produced by a second rank of pipes tuned slightly out of
> tune so
> that it produces beats.

> > MFoxy9795@a... wrote:
> > > << As a matter of fact, John Butt, one of the foremost
> > > authorities on early music, points out that the "vocal" stop on a pipe
> > > organ is the one that has a vibrato! >>
> > >
> > > do you mean the Vox Humana????
> > > Merry Foxworth
> >
> > *Maybe* It was years ago that I studied with him, but I can only assume
> > so, since "vocal" and "vox humana" are pretty much the same thing. Am I
> > mistaken that this is a vibratoed stop? I am not an organ player myself.

emusic.com