Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Tue Sep 24, 2002  11:05 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition - Lloyd

Mary Beth,

David here...
Here are some links that discuss backpack load for children. As a parent of
a 12 and 10 year old, I can tell you that the amount of books some schools
require kids carry is insane. There are some dangers involved in that.
Here are a couple of links:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/2002/1/SPINEPR2.LWW.html
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/pack/bp01.html

It seems that there is a consensus that weightlifting IS ok for children, as
long as they follow certain guidelines. Here is a link:
http://wlinfo.com/exercise_prescriptions_for_child.htm

I think you are still making the assumption that Lloyd (or me) is
purposefully avoiding the high register until a certain age. I wouldn't buy
into that idea, either. However, I have had students who really had trouble
finding it, especially when called upon to sing it at a level where it could
be heard on stage. Also, I remember reading in my education classes about
the "mutational chink" problem in young female voices. Certain experts
warned that working too much to increase the resistance to airflow in these
underdeveloped voices could lead to other problems (i.e., muscular
compensation, tension) in their voices. I think that caution is in order
when we are talking about immature voices (which is -older- for male voices
than for female voices).

Thanks for the dialogue,
David Grogan
Longview, Texas

-----------------

Hi Dennis,
I must not have been clear in my explanation. The weight-lifting analogy, or
learning ballet, jazz, gymnastics etc., all involve learning the
co-ordination first, and then building strength. To say that lifting weights
of any kind is harmful (shopping bags, backpacks etc.) in young bodies would
be crazy. However, lifting too much weight of any kind would be injurious.
My analogy to the voice was the same.......although the amount of
weight/pressure the voice can hold may be less, to neglect the use of those
muslces, or to avoid learning the co-ordination of those muscles until a
later time seems silly. In fact, you can prove that the co-ordination is
there and able to hold quite a bit of air pressure by asking most males to
make a sound like a siren (woo, woo), or other silly sounds more related to
daily life than singing.

Just to clarify, I am not advocating in any way the heavy development of any
voice that is inappropriate for the age and size of the instrument. However
to totally avoid or neglect the development of one part of the voice seems
to be counterproductive in the long run. If you have a large developed chest
voice that can sustain a large amount of air pressure, it's strength is
useless, unless a similar air pressure can be sustained into the upper
registers. Why not develop each register concurrently so that they remain in
balance, and strength is gained as the voice is physiologically able to
handle it?

Hope this clarifies,
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com