Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 11, 2002  1:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] suggestions to help improve a voice

Jodie,
Are you currently studying voice? You don't say. Have you studied? How old
are you? We need a bit more information to be able to offer help.

My initial reaction to your post is to tell you either to discuss your concerns
with your teacher or to find a good teacher. The sort of thing you're asking is
best dealt with one on one, in a studio setting.

The part of the range you're asking about is often a troublesome area for female
singers. If one takes a heavy mix too high ( too much chest /heavy mechanism)
it makes it difficult for the muscles involved in head /light mechanism ) to get
into the act of registration. Basic coordination of diction, breath management
and alignment can all be involved in both the problem and the solution.
Therefore, back to my gut reaction to your post - work with a good teacher to
identify the problems and work out the solution.
regards,
Cindy Donnell

~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have always been an alto. my low notes are my best. However, I am starting to
love opera, and I want to be able to sing well as a mezzo-soprano. I know I am a
young voice, but I cannot seem to get anything clear between a D on the staff to
the F above it, depending on the vowel. I was wondering if anyone knew of any
exercises of improving someone's break and making the head voice blend with the
chest voice, and exercises to improve someone's high notes overall. Thanks I
know this isn't too descriptive but I would appreciate any suggestions!
Jodie

emusic.com